If you’re looking to save money on dental expenses for yourself, your family, or a group you represent, a dental savings plan is the way to go. You can save between 10 and 60 percent off your bill at the dentist just by being a member and paying a small monthly premium. More than 100,000 dentists are part of a nationwide network of providers that allow patients to save money by presenting their dental savings plan card. That means there is an excellent chance that your dentist is part of the network.
How Does It Work?
You need to select a dental plan provider and have your membership application processed before you can begin using your dental discount card. When considering plan administrators, be sure to compare the following:
- Credentials of the dentist
- Location of the practice
- Your personal budget
- Whether the dentist performs specialty services you or a family member may need in the future
Many dental savings plan providers allow you to complete an application online. You can print out your membership card and begin using it to save money right away. You simply present your card to a member of the dental office staff to receive an immediate discount. There is no paperwork to complete and no waiting for reimbursement from the plan administrator.
Dental Costs Can Be Significant and Unexpected
When you owe a bill for dental implants or the work you had done cost more than expected, it can be difficult to come up with your portion of out-of-pocket expenses. Like many people, you probably don’t think beyond your bi-annual trip to the dentist that is normally covered by dental insurance providers at 100 percent. That leaves you in a difficult spot when you must deal with sudden trauma to the mouth or extensive treatment of an oral health condition. A dental savings plan helps you manage these costs while providing valuable peace of mind at the same time.
Benefits of a Typical Dental Savings Plan
Dental savings plans offer several benefits in addition to their simplicity and affordability. You can expect to enjoy the following benefits once you apply for membership and pay your first monthly premium:
- A solid return on investment that can pay out as much as 10 times what you pay for annual premiums
- Ability to choose from over 30 regional and national plans with participating dentists from multiple networks
- No treatment restrictions based on your past or present oral health
- Discounts go beyond preventive care to include savings on the services of dental specialists
- Excellent customer service before and after you enroll in a plan
- No benefit maximums or deductibles to meet
If you have additional questions about dental savings plans, start by asking your dentist. He or she will get you pointed in the right direction.